There's no shortage of things to do in all seasons when visiting Echuca/Moama.
ABOVE: Cactus Country
in our region has become a national drawcard with its Mexican themed nights and sunset tours
A day trip to Cactus Country (above) or an old country pub for a traditional counter meal with the locals are unique ways to spend an afternoon or summer evening.
You'II feel brand new after feeling your feet in the Murray sand, lapping up the warm water before gliding away into the sun.
The Foundry arts space is one block stroll from Heygarth House Treehouse Hideouts Accommodation.
The Foundry arts space (above) in the Port is always a thoughtful way to fill in an hour en route the river. The local arts initiative are tireless in their efforts to put together viewing of impressive contemporary and local folk artwork.
Our friends Kathryn Mackenzie and her team at at Echuca Moama Tourism Info Centre (located just 3 blocks from us on Heygarth St) have a killer website, abundant with brochures of family fun activities and food and wine options.
BELOW: Moama Beach
Moama Beach allows swimmers to walk out into the middle of the river on an extended sand bank and watch the sun go down while watching the lights of the Wharf and Paddlesteamers fade. Its located directly opposite Heygarth House Treehouse Hideouts (through the Aquatic Reserve and over the Moama bridge.)
Heygarth House is one of Echuca’s most historic buildings designed by the noted German architect William Vahland, a goldfields architect who built many buildings across Bendigo, Rochester and Echuca.🏡 It is a richly decorated two story Italianate building, built as a residence in 1876.
It is one of a number of beautifully designed buildings by WC Vahland in Echuca.
The property is steep in town history. Once a hospital (you'II note the flag crosses on top of the building above the balcony) Dr Henry Crossen, an Irishman, erected this unusual Italianate residence in 1876 after having practised as a surgeon in the town since 1863.
The verandah and balcony were added in 1897 by Dr G. Eakins, Crossen's successor, during whose term the building also became a Lying-in Hospital with a TB Infirmary.
From 1876 the premises were used continuously as a doctor's surgery, except for a period during World War II when it became a boarding house while the owner Dr D. Brown was at the war. Drs. J. Jones and C. Moysey joined Dr Brown in 1953 and remained in practice here until the building was sold in 1999 to Barry and Jan Donchi, local timber merchants and developers who also developed Perricoota Vines in Moama's winery district across the river. In the past ten years it has acted as offices for local council.
In 2018 it was re-imagined and launched as renovated holiday lodgings by their photographer daughter who took over in January 2021 with her partner, Paul Medew.
MORE INFO AT
Completed renovations at Heygarth House - now a Port-side Accommodation Favourite