Heygarth House is one of Echuca’s most historic buildings designed by the noted German architect William Vahland, a goldfields architect who built many buildings across Bendigo, Rochester and Echuca.🏡 It is a richly decorated two story Italianate building, built as a residence in 1876.
It is one of a number of beautifully designed buildings by WC Vahland in Echuca.
The property is steep in town history. Once a hospital (you'II note the flag crosses on top of the building above the balcony) Dr Henry Crossen, an Irishman, erected this unusual Italianate residence in 1876 after having practised as a surgeon in the town since 1863.
The verandah and balcony were added in 1897 by Dr G. Eakins, Crossen's successor, during whose term the building also became a Lying-in Hospital with a TB Infirmary.
From 1876 the premises were used continuously as a doctor's surgery, except for a period during World War II when it became a boarding house while the owner Dr D. Brown was at the war. Drs. J. Jones and C. Moysey joined Dr Brown in 1953 and remained in practice here until the building was sold in 1999 to Barry and Jan Donchi, local timber merchants and developers who also developed Perricoota Vines in Moama's winery district across the river. In the past ten years it has acted as offices for local council.
In 2018 it was re-imagined and launched as renovated holiday lodgings by their photographer daughter who took over in January 2021 with her partner, Paul Medew.
MORE INFO AT
Completed renovations at Heygarth House - now a Port-side Accommodation Favourite
Treehouse Hideouts Echuca Moama Accommodation